Proper Roofing For A Healthy Apartment
Proper Roofing is an integral part when it comes to building a house or office. Having a feeble roof can cause many disasters and emergency situation which may cause loss of life and property. A large number of people tend to be less conscious of their roofs unless and until some problem happens. Therefore, it is necessary to have a strong roof for a healthy home. A spoiled roof may lead to weaknesses in other structures of the house, eventually leading to high maintenance cost.
Frankly speaking, a great investment which an individual makes in his/her lifetime is their beautiful house. There can be valuable objects underneath these roofs which should be safe and secure. Naturally, All roofs undergo weathering and aging, and these are usually noticeable. As roofs weather and age normally, holes may occur, leading to water infiltration. Frequent inspections and attention to the weathered areas enables an owner to schedule maintenance, which helps to prevent further damage. In addition to this, a proper roof with good ventilation and insulating properties need to be installed for an effective heating and cooling effect. A good roof with proper protection is highly required to avoid conditions like humidity, heat, rain, hail, wind, snow, ice and extreme temperatures. In cases of roofs which are not vented, the humidity and heat can damage the wood rafters and cause underpinning. One needs to pay proper attention to the maintenance of roofs, whether it’s at home, office or anywhere.
There can be a variety of reasons for poor roofing conditions. The main ones are discussed below:
- High winds, hail, and other weather conditions can initiate damages to roofs that may trigger repairs and insurance claims. Roofs need to be inspected immediately after weather events to prevent further damage due to water infiltration. Problems caused by winds or hail can be minor and require little more than minor maintenance, or the problems can be major and require roof replacement. Tree limbs and branches which fall on roofs can cause significant damages to the structure. Roof blow-offs may also occur from improper installation of roofs. Storm damage at times may require emergency repairs costing high amounts
- Leaks after heavy rain are the primary trigger for most inspections. It takes an experienced professional to perform a thorough leak check and diagnosis, because the entry point for moisture may be far away from the human eyes. Leaks can be proof of serious roof issues or minor issues. Many roofs in good condition infrequently have leaks due to minor flashing problems.
- Still water on a roof increases the chances of leaks and moisture infiltration. Guaranteeing good drainage system is a very crucial for regular roof inspections. Leaves, trash, debris, and thrown items often clog drains, which initiates stood water conditions. Frequent cleansing of roofs can help remove such barriers and allow water to drain easily, thereby reducing the chances of leaks. In fact, water is heavy and weighs approximately 5 pounds per square foot per inch. Weak drainage also speeds up the degradation of roofing materials, leading to a shorter life span of the whole roof assembly.
- Problems on roofs can also occur from workers performing maintenance on air conditioners and other systems. These workers fail to shut mechanical access panels on roofs or leaving refrigerant containers. In addition to this, they often fail to clear up their left over debris. Items left on roofs can become flying objects in high winds. Therefore, it is highly recommended to remove this debris to prevent any damage.
- Vegetation can accumulate on rooftops when rain gutters and other low lying areas are not cleaned at regular intervals. Birds may also build their nests and start living on roofs. They may also drop seeds on these rooftops, which will result in the growth of plants. Along with this, tree branches which are in contact with roofs can cause severe damages during heavy wind or storm. Rain gutters should be cleaned frequently, and trees near roofs should be shortened to avoid contact with rough surfaces.
- If instances of sawdust or rotten spots are found on roofs, they need to be quickly fixed or these may get bigger by the action of leakage, insect infestation, climate damage and other things. Other reasons for a weak roof may also be its poor history, like poor workmanship, use of defective material, improper installation, carelessness, etc. In wooden houses, carpenter ants can cause great concern and these types of houses require timely inspection to avoid damages and other problems.
So to conclude, a selection of good roofing material along with proper and precise installation, cleaning, inspection and other maintenance are highly needed to sustain a roof. Therefore, it’s necessary to take proper actions before it’s too late.